Thursday, September 25, 2015
410 Days until Election Day 2016
129 Days until the Iowa Caucuses
33 Days until the Next Republican Debate
18 Days Until the 1st Democratic DebateIt's Thursday, September 25, 2015, I'm Gabe Fleisher for Wake Up To Politics, and reporting from WUTP world HQ in my bedroom - Good morning: THIS IS YOUR WAKE UP CALL!!!
To send me questions, comments, tips, new subscribers, and more: email me at email@example.com. To learn more about WUTP and subscribe, visit the site: wakeuptopolitics.com, or like me on Twitter and Facebook. More ways to engage with WUTP at the bottom.
Due to technical difficulties here at WUTP headquarters, I only have 20 minutes to pull this together, so please excuse me if it is a little shorter than I would have liked, or includes more quotes from other news organizations than usual. Sorry!
White House Watch
- The White House: "On Friday, the President and the First Lady will welcome President Xi and Madame Peng Liyuan to the White House for an official State Visit. This reciprocates President Obama’s State Visit to China in November 2014. President Xi’s visit will present an opportunity to expand U.S.-China cooperation on a range of global, regional, and bilateral issues of mutual interest, while also enabling President Obama and President Xi to address areas of disagreement constructively."
- The State Visit will include a formal arrival ceremony, bilateral meetings, a joint press conference and a State Dinner. Topics that will take up much of the time at meetings between Obama and Xi:
"Mutual allegations of cyber-spying, U.S complaints about a Chinese military build-up in the South China Sea, and near-confrontations between America and Chinese surveillance planes patrolling the region," according to USA Today.
- Politico: "The United States and China will release a joint statement on Friday outlining their vision for an international climate change agreement — the latest signal that the world's two biggest greenhouse gas emitters are determined to help broker a deal at a summit in Paris later this year.
The statement, which will be unveiled during Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to the White House, will also include a handful of new policy announcements, chief among them a commitment by China to launch a national cap-and-trade system in 2017, according to senior Obama administration officials."2016 Central
- Values Voter Summit Thousands of social conservatives - and nine presidential candidates - will gather at the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, D.C. this weekend for the Values Voter Summit. GOP presidential candidates Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham, Mike Huckabee, Bobby Jindal, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Rick Santorum, and Donald Trump will all address the forum, as will number of conservative commentators and icons, such as Kim Davis (the Kentucky county clerk jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples), blogger Erick Erickson, radio host Mark Levin and many other elected officials, activists, and authors, and leaders in the conservative moment.
- The Values Voter summit is an annual conference, now in its 10th year, sponsored by the Family Research Council that focuses on "preserv[ing] the bedrock values of traditional marriage, religious liberty, sanctity of life and limited government" according to its website. The conference has also held a presidential straw poll anually since 2007: the winners have been Mitt Romney (2007), Mike Huckabee (2009), Mike Pence (2010), Ron Paul (2011), Ted Cruz (2013, 2014). No winner has gone on to win the Republican nomination in the following election, although two past winners (and the son of another) are running again this year: Huckabee and Cruz, who may pull off his third straight win in the straw poll. The summit opens today, and lasts through Sunday.
- WMUR/CNN Poll in NH Data from a CNN/WMUR poll released Friday:
- New Hampshire 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary - Sanders 46, Clinton 30, Biden 14, O'Malley 2, Web 1, Chafee 0
- New Hampshire 2016 Republican Presidential Primary - Trump 26, Fiorina 16, Rubio 9, Carson 8, Bush 7, Kasich 7, Christie 5, Cruz 5, Paul 3, Graham 1, Huckabee 0, Jindal 0, Pataki 0, Santorum 0He Said, She Said
- "They love you, and we love you." - Joe Biden caught on a hot mic saying to Pope Francis before the Pontiff's address to Congress.
- "From a foreign intelligence perspective, that represents opportunity." - NSA chief Mike Rogers, when asked about the hypothetical that the Iranian or Russian foreign minister emailed with a private server by Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR), in a question clearly referencing the national security risks of Hillary Clinton's private email server.Capitol Hill News
- Pope's Address Here is a link to the full speech Pope Francis delivered before a Joint Meeting of Congress yesterday, from the Vatican: http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-francis-makes-historic-address-to-us-congress
Forward *|FACEBOOK:LIKE|* To change the email address Wake Up To Politics is sent to you: *|UPDATE_PROFILE|*
For more on Wake Up To Politics, listen to Gabe on NPR's "Talk of the Nation, the Political Junkie podcast, and St. Louis Public Radio; watch Gabe on MSNBC's "Up with Steve Kornacki, and read about Gabe in Politico, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the Globe, and the St. Louis Jewish Light