To read today's edition of Wake Up To Politics in a PDF format, click here. Continue reading to find the text of the Wake Up in the body of the email!
Friday, October 17, 2014
18 Days Until Election Day 2014
753 Days Until Election Day 2016
It's Friday, October 17, 2014, I'm Gabe Fleisher for Wake Up To Politics, and reporting from WUTP world HQ in my bedroom - Good morning: THIS IS YOUR WAKE UP CALL!!!
To send me questions, comments, tips, new subscribers, and more: email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about WUTP, visit the site: wakeuptopolitics.com, or read my tweets: twitter.com/Wakeup2Politics.
White House Watch
- Obama Floats Ebola Czar After the White House had shot down the idea for weeks, President Obama said Thursday an Ebola czar (see WUTP Dictionary below) “may be appropriate” to “make sure we’re crossing all the t’s and dotting all the i’s.
- Obama’s remarks came to reporters after a two-hour meeting on the Ebola epidemic with top officials from different agencies working on responding to the disease.
- The President’s Schedule At 10 AM, President Obama receives the Presidential Daily Briefing.
- At 11:50 AM, Obama will speak on financial security at the Consumer Financial Protecction Bureau headquarters.
- At 12:40 PM, Obama will sit down for a lunch with Vice President Joe Biden
- At 4 PM, the President will meet with member of the National Security Council for an update on the U.S.-led campaign to combat the Islamic State group.
- Also today, President Obama will meet with aides on the Ebola epidemic.
A piece of news I read today…that I don’t consider “news”:
- Vice President Joe Biden’ son Hunter, 44, was discharged from the U.S. Navy Reserve in February, after testing positive for cocaine in a June 2013 drug test, according to a Wall Street Journal report.
- Hunter Biden applied for a commission as a public affairs officer at age 42, and was commissioned as an ensign in the Reserve. It has not been reported whether his discharge was honorable.
- He is Joe Biden’s youngest son; the oldest son is Beau Biden, Delaware attorney general and gubernatorial candidate, and a major in the Delaware National Guard.
Wake Up To Politics Dictionary
Czar (n.): Russian monarch In American politics, someone appointed by the President to oversee a particular issue. In the case of Ebola, someone to work solely on the U.S. response to the disease. This use of the term was created by American media, and has been used in this way since Franklin D. Roosevelt’s presidency.
Ex: Drug czar (head of the Office of National drug Control Policy),Terrorism czar (Assistant to the President on terrorism policy).