To read today's edition of Wake Up To Politics in a PDF format, click here. Continue reading to find the text of the Wake Up in the body of the email!
Monday, March 9, 2015
610 Days Until Election Day 2016It's Monday, March 9, 2015, I'm Gabe Fleisher for Wake Up To Politics, and reporting from WUTP world HQ in my bedroom - Good morning: THIS IS YOUR WAKE UP CALL!!!
To send me questions, comments, tips, new subscribers, and more: email me at email@example.com. To learn more about WUTP or subscribe, visit the site: wakeuptopolitics.com, or read my tweets and follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/Wakeup2Politics or read stories on Wake Up To Politics by clicking the media logos at the bottom.
White House Watch
- The President’s Schedule At 11:30 AM, President Obama will address the National League of Cities annual Congressional City Conference in Washington, D.C.
- At the conference, Obama will announce a 20-city training program for high-skilled jobs. The program, named TechHire, will prepare U.S. workers for technology jobs.
- At 3 PM, the President will meet with European Council President Donald Tusk to discuss issues including the situation in Ukraine, Russia, economic growth, transatlantic trade, energy security, climate, and countering violent extremism and terrorism.
- Selma Speech President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama, and their children were joined by former President George W. Bush, former First Lady Laura Bush, Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), and other dignitaries at the Edmund Pettus Bridge to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Selma to Montgomery voting rights marches.
- Saturday was also the anniversary of Bloody Sunday, when marchers were assaulted by police at the Edmund Pettus Bridge.
- President Obama’s speech is being called one of the best of his presidency, and can be read here. In addition, some of the photos from the weekend are very moving, including Obama hugging John Lewis, who participated in the voting rights marches 50 years ago and is now a U.S. congressman. Here are some photos from the weekend in Selma.
- Firefighter Forum Today is the first day of the 2015 Alfred K.Whitehead Legislative Conference and Presidential Forum, hosted by the International Association of Firefighters, a labor union representing first responders.
- Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) are scheduled to address the conference today, with Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Ted Cruz (R-TX), Marco Rubio (R-FL), and Lindsey Graham (R-SC); former Sen. Jim Webb (D-VA); Rep. Peter King (R-NY); and former Gov. George Pataki (R-NY) scheduled to speak tomorrow.
- Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush pre-recorded an address to be played tomorrow.
- This marks one of the first bipartisan presidential forums, with Biden, Warren, Sanders, and Webb representing the potential Democratic field, and the others possible GOP candidates for president.
- Obama Advises, But Falls Short of Endorsing, a Trace Adams 2040 Presidential Bid At a Friday town hall in South Carolina, President Barack Obama was asked by 10-year-old Trace Adams when he first became interested in running for president.
- Adams also admitted to thinking “a little bit” about running himself, saying he was interested in social studies, and read the newspaper with his dad.
- Obama said when he was 10, he wanted to be an architect or a basketball player, and then a lawyer.
- Obama’s advice to the aspiring president: work hard in school, get involved in service projects, and graduate from college, and then, “I might just be warming up the seat for you.”
- President Obama did, however, point out that Adams had a couple years of waiting – at least 25 until he was constitutionally eligible (the first presidential election Adams will be able to run in will be 2040).
- You can watch the whole exchange here (the question from Trace Adams is at 58:00).
- In a Washington Post article, the exchange was put next to the famous photo of future President Bill Clinton meeting President John F. Kennedy, to which I say:
White House Watch
- Today’s Question If Trace Adams could be sworn into the Presidency in 2041, at the earliest, what is the earliest he could fall into the chronological order of Presidents (if Barack Obama is #44, what is the earliest number Adams could be)?