To read today's edition of Wake Up To Politics in a PDF format, click here. Continue reading to find the text of the Wake Up in the body of the email!
Monday, April 20, 2015
568 Days Until Election Day 2016It's Monday, April 20, 2015, I'm Gabe Fleisher for Wake Up To Politics, and reporting from WUTP world HQ in my bedroom - Good morning: THIS IS YOUR WAKE UP CALL!!!
To send me questions, comments, tips, new subscribers, and more: email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about WUTP or subscribe, visit the site: wakeuptopolitics.com, or read my tweets and follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/Wakeup2Politics or read stories on Wake Up To Politics by clicking the media logos at the bottom.
Race to 45
- Polling Roundup GOP vs. Clinton In matchups vs. Hillary Clinton, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (who announced his presidential campaign last week) is the most competitive Republican, nabbing 41% of the vote to Clinton’s 55%.
- This was found by a new CNN/ORC poll out this morning, which also found Jeb Bush and Rand Paul both receiving 39% of the vote, although Bush held Clinton at 56%, while she got 58% against Paul. Finally, Scott Walker received 37% to Clinton’s 59%.
- Democratic Primary The same CNN/ORC survey also polled the Democratic primary in 2016, with a whopping 69% of Democratic voters saying they would vote for Hillary Clinton, the only announced candidates.
- Vice President Joe Biden is the only potential candidate to score double digits, with 11%. Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders took 5%, former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb took 3%, and both Lincoln Chafee and Martin O’Malley got just 1% of voters each.
- Chris Christie A Quinnipiac University poll out this morning found 56% of New Jersey voters disapprove of the governor’s job performance, bad news for Chris Christie, a potential presidential candidate. Just 38% approve of Christie, making for his lowest-ever approval rating, and the worst rating this year for any U.S. governor that Quinnipiac has surveyed.
- A lot of this is likely because of the Bridgegate scandal, which 53% of New Jerseyans think Christie knew about, according to the poll.
- “Most unpopular governor in the country”: not a great platform to run on in 2016.
- Travel Tracker Hillary Clinton makes her first 2016 campaign stop in New Hampshire today, to meet with voters in the key first-in-the-nation primary state.
- Today, Clinton tours Whitney Brothers, a business in Keene, New Hampshire, that “manufactures and sells specialty children’s furniture,” according to WMUR, and then will participate in a roundtable with employees at the small business.
White House Watch
- The President’s Schedule At 11 AM, President Obama and Vice President Biden will meet with Secretary of State John Kerry in the Oval Office.
- At 12:30 PM, the President and Vice President will hold a work lunching with Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan of the United Arab Emirates in the White House Private Dining Room. Topics of discussion will include the Islamic State group, the Iran nuclear negotiations, Yemen, Libya, and Syria.
- At 2:40 PM, Obama will honor the Ohio State University Buckeyes, the 2015 College Football Playoff National Championship team.
- Finally, at 3:15 PM, Obama and Biden will sit down with Treasury Secretary Jack Lew in the Oval.